HEALTH ON THE HILL
Our current exhibition features some of the history of Otaki's two hospitals: the Cottage Hospital and the Sanatorium.These were situated on the higher ground off Mill Rd. The Cottage Hospital became the Maternity Home in 1945 and is now the Otaki Community Health Centre. The Sanatorium closed in 1964. The building was subsequently used by Kimberley Hospital and Training Centre for some its residents until 1985. The old buildings were demolished in 1997. The exhibition includes profiles of notable staff, medical and nursing memorabilia and recollections from some users of the services.
Photo: Governor Ranfurly is welcomed to the town for the opening of the Cottage Hospital. Otaki Historical Society collection.